Minnesota (N)ice
As I pen this the temperature outdoors is bitterly cold. When I stepped outside this morning and took my first breath I could feel the cilia inside my nostrils tingle as they began to freeze, but overall, dressed for the weather like I was, I actually felt pretty okay. As I trekked further the wind picked up and my uncovered face felt like it was experiencing the cold-weather equivalent of melting; the windchill was around -30 degrees Fahrenheit. I ducked into a covered area, hastily threw on a scarf, and continued on my way. Did I feel comfortable? By no means. Did I feel a great sense of Minnesota pride? You can bet your briefcase on it.
People continually complain here about how frigid it is outside, but honestly would they have it any other way? What would a Minnesota winter be if this didn't happen every once in a while? Cold weather is as much a part of the state's identity as having a good education system or giving away our best athletes to rich coastal teams. As long as a person is smart enough to prepare themselves appropriately and realize they shouldn't be out there making snow angels, there's really no reason to fear if traveling by foot. The only exceptions would be the homeless, for whom I feel desperate sympathy; I, for one, know that if I was ever faced with the prospect of homelessness I'd hop a train if I had to, if it meant escaping a Midwest winter. The people I generally talk to are fortunate enough not to fall into this category though, so I must say, suck it up folks, you signed up for this.
The temps were maxing out around zero all last week, including one day on which I had to walk five miles I must brag, until Friday that is when we had a warm front; the high rose to positive 12. It was a windless sunny day and as I walked about, I felt like it was the first day of spring. I seemed overdressed with a winter coat on, and I truly believed I could brave it in only a t-shirt without too much discomfort. The weather continued to get warmer over the weekend and by Monday it had already reached 40 degrees. I must say, it was a beautiful day; I sported but a hoodie and it felt wonderful strolling about doing errands with just a slight breeze combing my hair. Later on, I was talking to a friend when he began grumbling about how it was going to get drastically cold again the next day (that is today). "Why can't the temperature stay like this every day? It's gonna get so cold again, man this blows." I didn't say anything, but I felt a little like he'd just spoken sacrilege. I wanted to begin giving him a lecture. Yeah it had been cold last week, but that was one single week and it really wasn't that bad, the entire month of February last year had been worse. Would you really want it to always be that warm? I for one, get a sense of accomplishent out of besting the elements year in and year out. Don't you feel that at all? You see, I could bring someone from SoCal here right now and watch them squirm and squeel about the unhumanly cold temperatures, and I would walk right past them with a smile on my face and with the knowledge I had something this pretty boy would never have. I could walk out into that Minnesota blizzard and know I was right at home.

4 Comments:
Wow. 's my favorite of yours.
Worth the wait, worth the wait.
Goodness, Daniel. I'm surprised you didn't fight someone to the death with an icicle to assert your MN dominion. I suppose there's still time, if you're up for it.
Yeah, there was no one handy worthy of my battle. As you said, perhaps another time?
Most definitely, good sir.
Most definitely.
Post a Comment
<< Home