Sunday, November 11, 2007

Take a Chance


“There is no coincidence, only the illusion of coincidence"-V for Vendetta


The future has not already been decided. Some people have taken Newton's Law of equal and opposite reactions far enough to say that it claims everything that is, was, and will be, has already determined because everything that happens is a reaction to what precedes it, and this law can be extrapolated so that it applies to everything. always. Well I always found this to be particularly troubling because it seemed to make sense and made it seem as if mine and everyone elses' destiny was already totally set in stone. I would think, "Well I'm going to do something totally unorthodox and wacky right now just to prove that law wrong and make my self feel better!" In doing so though I would just further confirm such a statement because my zany act would be a reaction to learning about that law. That old philosophical argument about free will being an illusion began to scare me. How awful would that be to think that nothing anyone accomplished was of their own accord or that no one could be held responsible for anything because it could all be blamed on this law of physics? But chance, now that's one thing that can't be accounted for. We're talking on the subatomic level here. The particles that make up the fabric of existence are not bound to predictable patterns; they take random actions. Of course the argument of divine intervention could also always be raised but I'm not going to even pretend I know how that would operate or fit into this because it could go so many different ways. In the end though, if the very blocks of life can't be forecast, it seems to me unlikely, if not outright impossible, that all of creation is bound in their life course and decisions, and that, I must say, is something to be happy and rejoice about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home